Friday, December 17, 2010

The Perfect Recipe

  A true woman of God trusts her God and wants His Will over hers.

   Tim's aunt Mildred, now in her mid-80's, had an almond orchard.  I say "had" since it has been sold and now someone else"has" an almond orchard.  Every time we would visit Aunt Mildred's home, on her kitchen counter was almonds and a batch of her buttery English Toffee with almonds. For years, I have used her recipe to make the candy during the holiday season.  However it never quite tasted or looked just like hers. A few visits ago, I said, "Aunt Mil, let's make toffee."  We made the candy together. She stood over me, fine tuning my technique, monitoring the heat, watching for the right color and smell.  The end result- perfect toffee. 
   When the disciples of Jesus saw him pray, they said, "Teach us to pray."  Luke 11:2 records that Jesus said to them, "Father, hallowed be Thy name, your kingdom come.   Jesus didn't just give them the recipe for pray.  His whole life was a demonstration of this prayer.
"Father, hallowed be Thy name"-  Jesus worships God, His Father.  Our prayer begins with praise and worship to our Father in Heaven.  We approach His throne, knowing He is worth our worship.
"Your kingdom come."- Jesus acknowledges Allegiance to God's sovereign rule and reign. Our will must be submitted to His Lordship over our life.  He is LORD over our life and me are subject to Him. 
     Jesus lived his life with his mindset.  He went to his Father for guidance and strength.  He aligned himself under the Lordship of His Father, even going to his death on the cross.  Before that event, Jesus prayed in the garden, "Not my will, but yours be done."
    John, who saw the recipe lived out, wrote we have confidence in our prayer, as we submit to His will.
  • 1 John 5:14-15  "And this is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him."
     Are you following the recipe for prayer? I don't mean in just reciting the words, but in living the example Jesus set.  When you do the end result is His perfect will. 

1 comment:

  1. this was posted on my Facebook all:
    Pam, I enjoy your blog each day, but I really needed the one today! Often times my prayer is rote. I want it to be meaningful - to God! Thank you for the words you wrote today!

    ReplyDelete